A common theme I have encountered when discussing the National Series with club members is a feeling that the competition, and the events included within it, are only available and geared towards the more competitive triathlete. I guess there is a fear from some that they may simply not be at a standard that will enable them to compete in event. As we all doubt our own ability at times, I can understand this point but I can categorically state that nothing could be further from the truth. As the premier and biggest competition in Irish triathlon, the event is aimed at all triathletes regardless of age or standard. In fact, without a continuous flow of athletes competing in the competition for the first time there would be no National Series, as it is actually only a small percentage of athletes that compete at National Series events that aim to compete at the top level.
A key thing to remember with the triathlons that make up the National Series is that they are events established and run by clubs similar to ourselves. They are most certainly not some grand or expensive marquee event devised by Triathlon Ireland to simply test the elite of the sport. Think more like our very own excellent annual Tri-Kingdom Come and you get a clearer picture of what the events are like. Also, similar to our own event, the standard of competition at these events is a complete cross section of the triathlon community, with the elite athlete racing against the complete beginner. After all, isn’t this the beauty of our sport.
So is the National Series a competition that could offer you something as a triathlete? I would say that if you can answer yes to one or more of the following questions then representing the club in the National Series most certainly could be for you:
- Are you stuck in a rut with your training and need a new challenge for motivation?
- Are you bored, sick and tired of racing the same old local races?
- Have you had enough of simply completing triathlons and want to take the step to actually competing in the sport? Triathlon is a sport after all.
- Have you ever dreamed of representing Ireland internationally?
- Do you like completing triathlons in new and stunning locations?
- Are you proud of your club and would like the opportunity to promote and represent it at a national level?
- Would you like to compare yourself against your age group on a national basis?